It’s almost Valentine’s Day! I find that people (that means me) usually do the same things and give/get the same old traditional flowers and chocolates on this ‘day of love’.
Well, this year I say phffpt to that!
Let’s get weird!
Are you just a little bit weird?
- do you read Conversation Hearts before eating them? Okay, I admit, that’s pretty normal — isn’t it?
- do you consult the flavor chart in the chocolate box before choosing? Normal again, eh?
- have you ever rearranged all of the chocolates so that they don’t match up with the selection guide? You’re thinking about it, aren’t you? Me? I would never do that! Not me!
- 77% of us are in favor of heart-shaped food on Valentine’s Day. What other day could a grown-up possibly get away with that?
- if you’re trying to impress that special someone, try taking a hint from the male bowerbird who decorates its ‘bachelor’s pad‘ with flowers and man-made objects to impress females. Or the male cuttlefish that changes color on one side of its body to fend off male competition. These guys have a lesson to teach us!
- if you want to learn some cool Valentine moves, take a look at Albatross. They have all of the right moves when it comes to courtship. When they find a desired mate — one that they’ll stick with for life — they dance, preen each other’s feathers, and point their beaks to the sky making noises. Trust me, it’s worth a watch. I want some of that!
Here are some of the weirdest gifts:
- Would you give this Eraser+ing by Molla Space, Inc to your ‘significant other’? Hey, it’s jewelry, it’s inexpensive, it’s practical — and it will allow them to correct their mistakes! Hmmmm, I like that idea!
- I dare you to sink your teeth into this one. Here’s to giving a part of yourself, with Australian designer and jeweler Polly van der Glas’ tooth ring. And, she even discounts 10% if you supply the teeth!
- When in doubt, give Nothing. Really, Nothing, by the Creative Gift Company. The company says that Nothing is better than chocolate, flowers, or an expensive dinner. Really? $8.99 and free shipping over $35 for Nothing. The company claims that ‘The Gift of Nothing has better packaging and is more substantial than others’. I don’t get it! And, I wont!
- Here’s weird, but a good weird–I mean fun weird. Check out RK Grace‘s I Am Weird pillowcases. They are adorably weird. And, she has quite a collection of sayings.
We’re all a little weird. And life is a little weird. And when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall into mutually satisfying weirdness—and call it love—true love. — Robert Fulghum
Tell Us —
Anything weird planned for Valentine’s Day? Any weird traditions or habits? Even just slightly weird? You never know who you might inspire! Please comment below.
— Barbara Balkin, Founder and ARTkinIST